The original furniture and
business was started
McGuire (who had
been in business
furniture) and Mr. Galaway.
McGuire was the
father of John Low Sr. He owned
the Uxbridge Piano and Organ
Company and also sold caskets
and furniture from that location.
They moved to the furniture store on Brock Street about 1891 where they are still located.
When Mr. McGuire died William Low and Mrs. McGuire formed the company of McGuire & Low.
The funeral business was also operated from the same location with funerals being held either in their home or the church. Embalming was practiced from the early 1900's with most of it being done right in the home. Horses and wagons were the only means of transportation.
John Low came into the business in 1917 and was actively engaged in it until the 1950's. In 1948 the present funeral home on Brock Street East was opened. Bill Low came into the business in 1949 and is still involved. In 1964
the name McGuire & Low was changed to Low & Low upon incorporation.
In 1987 John Low, the fifth generation, received his Funeral Director's license and joined the business. In 1996 Peter Low received his license and joined the business. In 1989 they purchased another funeral home in Port Perry on Regional Rd #8 and are operating both under the Low & Low name.